30 Minute Keto Ground Lamb Skillet with Feta
Lamb and Feta Cheese Combine For a Fast, Flavorful Dinner
Quick recipes often compromise in one area or another. Either they cut corners on seasoning, resulting in bland, boring food, or else the thirty minute time frame proves to be more aspirational than reality-based, with the whole process taking more than an hour and resulting in a pile of dishes.
Keeping the time under thirty minutes requires a commitment to simplicity, which is why this entire dish is cooked in a single skillet, with much of the prep work taking place while the cooking is underway. But doing this while creating a dish that tastes great requires fresh, flavorful ingredients. Ground lamb pairs perfectly with feta, and cherry tomatoes and ribbons of kale beautifully offset their richness. Crushed red pepper adds a bracing zip of spice.
Don’t Be Scared By Keto
If you landed on this recipe because you are keto, then get cooking. If you are not keto I’m not going to try to convince you of the merits of one diet compared to another. What I am going to try to convince you of is the merits of this dish. I can’t emphasize enough that it is really, really good and really, really easy. If you want to serve it with carbs, go ahead! It will go well with rice, pita bread, or whatever else you like.
A Note on Ingredients
High quality lamb is a must, of course, but it’s also worth finding good feta. Feta made from cow milk is generally milder in flavor than feta made from goat or sheep milk. I am generally inclined to go with the more robust flavor in a dish like this like this, but it is very much a matter of taste.
Lacinato or dinosaur kale – the dark green stuff with a long, rounded leaf shape – is ideal, though collards or any similar green would also work in a pinch. Finally, if the red pepper flakes in your spice cabinet are old, get a fresh jar. The pepper should provide a real kick, not just a bit of red coloring.
30 Minute Keto Ground Lamb Skillet
- 1 lb. ground lamb preferably grass fed
- 4 oz. cherry tomatoes about 12 tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch kale
- 4 oz. feta cheese
- Start sautéing lamb in skillet over medium heat. Slice tomatoes in half and add to the cooking lamb, along with salt and red pepper.
- While that's all cooking, rinse the kale, remove leaves from stems, and slice or tear in thick strips.
- Once the lamb has browned and most of the juice released by the tomatoes has evaporated, add the kale and cook until it is wilted, then crumble feta cheese on top.
- Serve as is, or top with a fried egg. If you're not keto, this goes great with rice or pita bread.